Common Plants That Pose Risks to Cats and Dogs

As a pet owner, it’s crucial to provide a secure environment for your four-legged companions. It’s important to be aware that some plants might be hazardous to cats and dogs even if they can provide beauty and freshness to your home. In order to assist you protect the safety of your cherished pets, today we will walk you through a list of common plants that might be harmful to them.



Lilies, such as Tiger lilies, Daylilies, and Easter lilies, are extremely harmful to cats. It is dangerous or even lethal to consume any part of the plant, including the leaves, flowers, or pollen. These plants must be kept out of reach of pets or substitute pet-friendly plants.

Azaleas and Rhododendrons


Grayanotoxins are present in popular ornamental plants like azaleas and rhododendrons. Pets who consume these plants may experience digestive problems, weakness, tremors, and possibly heart problems.

Sago Palm

Photo: Alex Perri

The Sago Palm is an attractive plant often found in homes and gardens. However, all parts of this plant are highly toxic to pets. Ingesting even a small amount can lead to severe liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and in some cases, death.

Tulips and Hyacinths

Photo: Annie Spratt

Tulips and hyacinths contain harmful substances called glycosides despite being stunning and colorful. Drooling, digestive issues, and, in a few rare instances, heart abnormalities can all result from ingesting these plants.

Aloe Vera

Photo: feey

Aloe Vera is a popular household plant known for its medicinal properties. However, the gel within its leaves contains a compound called saponin, which can be toxic to cats and dogs. Ingesting aloe vera can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and changes in urine color.


Photo: Taylor Heery

Pothos, also known as Devil’s Ivy, is a common houseplant with heart-shaped leaves. It contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause oral irritation, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting if ingested by pets.



Daffodils are vibrant spring flowers, but their bulbs contain toxic alkaloids that can be harmful to pets. Ingesting any part of the plant, especially the bulbs, can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even cardiac issues.



Oleander is an outdoor shrub with beautiful flowers, but it contains cardiac glycosides that are highly toxic to pets. Ingesting any part of this plant can lead to serious heart problems, gastrointestinal issues, and, in severe cases, can be fatal.

The common plants that are poisonous to cats and dogs are included in this page, however the list is not all-inclusive. Seek emergency veterinarian care if you think your pet may have consumed a hazardous plant or if they show any strange symptoms. Remember to choose non-toxic plants or keep hazardous ones out of reach to create a pet-friendly environment. Always put your pet’s safety and wellbeing first in your household.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: