The UK’s most famous music festival is set to take place this weekend, with thousands of excited revellers heading to Glastonbury in Somerset for 5 days of fun on the world-famous Worthy Farm.
Whether you weren’t one of the lucky few who managed to bag tickets, or just simply didn’t fancy braving the elements for a weekend of camping, you can still enjoy the magic of Glastonbury from the comfort of your very own home.
With Glastonbury being broadcast across the BBC via iPlayer, and further scorching temperatures forecast across the weekend, there’s no better time to throw a Glastonbury themed party or BBQ.
The team of drink experts at The Bottle Club have put together a handy guide for throwing a Glastonbury themed party, as well as providing some summer cocktail recipes to help spice up the occasion.
Decorate the garden
Get creative with your home decor to really create the festival vibe around the home. Think outdoor fairy lights to add ambience, colourful flags or bunting, and maybe even a disco ball or two for an added touch. Adding floral garlands or balloons can add a funky, festival feel to the place.
Dress in festival attire
For a Glastonbury themed party, it makes sense to go all out and dress in festival attire. Think daisy chain headbands, floral shirts, hippy skirts, and maybe even dust off your wellies if you want to encapsulate the true Glastonbury experience.
For added festival vibes, apply some glitter or body paint to complete your outfit.
Set up an outdoor screen
With Glastonbury broadcasting across the BBC over the weekend, you can enjoy your favourite acts from the comfort of your own home, without having to deal with crowds or the potential bad weather.
If you can, set up a screen outdoors so that you can watch your favourite bands whilst enjoying the warm weather.
Pitch a tent
If you want to experience a more authentic festival experience, why not pitch a tent in the garden and host a camp out with friends and family?
Set up outdoor shelter
Despite sunny forecasts, we all know that British weather can be unpredictable at the best of times. To avoid any soggy buns and upset guests, set up outdoor shelter such as a gazebo or parasols, should the weather switch unexpectedly. This also provides shelter from the sun, should any of your guests need it.
Use paper plates and cups
If you are worried about your guests breaking your favourite dinner set or glasses, purchase plastic reusable plates, cutlery and cups to avoid any breakages. This is also more environmentally friendly than purchasing plastic or paper sets that will be disposed of.
Create some summer cocktails
If you are looking to add a real summer twist to your Glastonbury themed party, why not get creative with your drinks selection? Below, the team at the Bottle Club have compiled a list of tasty summer cocktail recipes that can be made easily at home, to serve at your summer BBQ.
Prep time: 2 Minutes
- 1 lime wedge, plus 2 lime wheels for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt for glass rims
- 120ml high-quality blanco tequila
- 60ml triple sec, such as Cointreau
- 45ml fresh juice from 2 limes
- 10 fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon strawberry syrup
- Run lime wedge around the outer rims of 2 rocks glasses and dip rims in salt. Set aside.
- To a blender, add strawberries, tequila, lime juice, syrup and triple sec. Pulse until completely smooth.
- Fill glasses with fresh ice and strain margarita into both glasses. Garnish with lime wheels and serve.
Classic Pina Colada
Prep time: 3 Minutes
- 135 ml pineapple juice
- 28 ml coconut rum
- 60 ml white rum
- 45 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (if needed!)
- 6 ice cubes
- Add all the ingredients into a blender container and blitz until the drink has a slushie consistency (or until smooth). You can also use a good immersion (hand) blender to mix the ingredients. Serve chilled and enjoy!
Prep time: 3 Minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka or gin
- Grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed, to top
- Garnish: lime wheel
- Fill a rocks glass with ice, then add the vodka or gin and the grapefruit juice and stir gently.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.