Experience the best of the Canton of Vaud through the various excursions and activities that the cities of Lausanne and Montreux Riviera have to offer. In addition to the natural panorama, there is much to do in the region, from walking holidays to exploring the region’s history and culture, with the backdrop of some of the Alps’ most dramatic peaks.
Escape to nature this summer in Lausanne, where visitors can enjoy some of the finer things in life. Its breathtaking scenery of winding roads through the mountain valleys offers a natural escape from city life for a romantic break or a family adventure alike.
1) Accommodation – The region’s captivating lakes are a stunning backdrop to the offerings around the city, which hosts some of the country’s finest hotels where luxury meets heritage, such as the world-renowned Hôtel de Ville de Crissier and Beau-Rivage Palace, which both pay homage to the region’s rich history and culture. Other visitor favourites include the Lausanne Palace, Royal Savoy Hotel and Spa and the 12th century Chateau d’Ouchy.
2) Dining – Gastronomes will find an array of fine dining options to tempt them to the region, with several world-class, Michelin starred restaurants in some of the most magical locations. Topping the gastro-tour would be the three-star Restaurant de l’Hôtel de Ville de Crissier, two-star Anne-Sophie and one-star, La Table du Lausanne Palace, Le Berceau des Sens and Auberge de l’Abbaye de Montheron, ensuring that every day can bring a new gastronomic experience.
3) Wellness – For relaxation and wellbeing, the region is rich with some of the world’s best spas set in the most luxurious of locations. Internationally renowned spas include Spa Cinq Mondes at Beau-Rivage Palace, CBE Concept Spa du Lausanne Palace and Spa du Royal Savoy, all offering unforgettable escapes. Medical tourism has boomed in the Alpine region, with some of the world’s best clinics and professionals from around the world. From Hirslanden Clinique Bois-cerf to Clinique Montchoisi, the region has become a hub for global health.
4) Activities – But it is not only relaxation which visitors can find in the region. Activities and culture abound with offerings such as lake cruises, heli-tours and a raft of museums and historical sites to entice guests. Château de Chillon is just one of the stunning castles guests can visit in the region, while the Olympic Museum is a firm favourite with sports fans. The Lavaux vineyard terraces, now listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, are among the region’s natural wonders, in addition to the unforgettable Lake Geneva and the region’s highest point, Glacier 3000 where active travel lovers can walk on the only suspension bridge in the world that connects two mountain peaks.
It’s splendour, pleasant climate and famous guests have given the region of Montreux-Vevey the title of Swiss Riviera. Beyond its dream landscape, it offers many more things to do. A host of cultural events, fine dining venues, outdoor activities, and wellbeing centres ensure visitors have many reasons to relish the warmer weather.
1) Accommodation – Montreux Riviera offers some of the world’s most luxurious hotels, historical icons such as Le Grand Hotel Du Lac and the Fairmont Le Montreux Palace offer the most majestic escapes in the heart of this glorious region.
2) Dining – Fine dining has always been a forte of this rich culinary region, with an abundance of Michelin-starred restaurants to its name. Two-star Le Pont de Brent, one-star Restaurant Denis Martin, Les Saisons and Les Atelier are among the names for which the region has become renowned. Visitors can also stroll along the flowery quays, climb aboard a Belle Epoque boat for a gourmet cruise, enjoy the freshness of Lake Geneva during a swim, the coolness of the mountains during an escapade at the Rochers-de-Naye or enjoy a gastronomic meal on a terrace at sunset.
3) Wellness – The region is rich with wellness, a spa haven for both medical and recreational wellbeing. Visitors can enjoy the natural haven found in the Lavey-les-Bains thermal spa or relax at the Spa Givenchy where views of the spectacular surrounds make for the most heavenly escape. Known for its world-class medical tourism, the region’s clinics such as Clinique La Prairie and LaClinic, boast some of the world’s finest doctors in the fields of aesthetic and cosmetic surgery.
4) Activities – Culture abounds for art, history, and music lovers alike. From walking in the footsteps of some of the region’s former celebrity residents, Freddie Mercury and Charlie Chaplin to name but a few, to witnessing the talents of local and international street artists. Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the region in its finest glory, bursting with life amidst the wonder of nature. The great outdoors has much to offer from hiking tours, & water sports to taking a tranquil stroll down Montreux Lakeside, all with the backdrop of the magnificent Alps.